TAMUR RIVER “THE JEWEL OF THE EAST” | KAYAK EXPEDITION – 15 DAYS
Off-the-beaten-track experience in the heart of the Himalayas
4 days of breathtaking trekking and 6 days of exciting kayaking adventure
Challenging and intense white-water rapids
Total kayaking / rafting distance – 131 kilometres
120 exciting rapids ranging from Class I to Class V
Tamur, the jewel of Kangchenjunga (the third highest mountain in the world), was only opened for commercial rafting / kayaking in 1998. Since then, the river has won the affection of many white-water enthusiasts throughout the world.
Our expedition begins with a 4-day awe-inspiring Himalayan trek in Eastern Nepal, followed by 6 days of exciting white-water kayaking on the Tamur. As a very challenging river, the Tamur is best suited to people with previous kayaking experience.
If you are looking for a trip to satisfy your craving for adrenaline, this expedition is for you!
Our extraordinary kayaking and rafting team holds internationally recognized rafting certifications from the International Rafting Federation (IRF) and are White-Water Rescue Technicians (WRT). Our expert guides are highly trained, uphold the highest safety standards, have an excellent knowledge of the Himalayan rivers and are among the most talented and experienced guides in the Nepalese rafting and kayaking industry. You can rest assured that you will be in safe hands.
Day 01. WELCOME TO NEPAL
Upon arrival in Kathmandu, our friendly representative will be waiting for you at the airport with a sign displaying your name. He will then drive you to your hotel. At the hotel, you will receive a short pre-departure briefing.
Depending on your time of arrival, you are free to relax or explore the city.
Day 02. KATHMANDU SIGHTSEEING TOUR
Day 03. KATHMANDU TO BASANTAPUR
Early in the morning, after breakfast, we will either fly to Biratnagar and drive to Basantapur from Biratnagar or drive directly to Basantapur from Kathmandu. If you choose the flight option (extra cost), please mention this as a special request at the time of booking.
Day 04. BASANTAPUR TO CHAUKI
Our expedition will begin with a trek from Basantapur to Chauki. The trail is quite challenging, but our porters will help us carry our bags. Along the way, we will have stunning views of mountain ranges and valley terraces. We will stop at Chauki where we will spend the night.
Day 05. CHAUKI TO GUPHA POKHARI
After a filling breakfast, we will trek to Gupha Pokhari. After 4-5 hours, we will reach Gupha Pokhari. The trail to Gupha Pokhari is beautiful. You’ll witness beautiful landscapes and enjoy the amazing view of Mt. Kangchenjunga, the third highest mountain in the world. We will spend the night at Gupha Pokhari.
Day 06. GUPHA POKHARI TO GORJA
After breakfast, we will continue our trek to Gorja. You will have the opportunity to visit remote rural settlements surrounded by beautiful flora and fauna. We will set up our camp at Gorja.
Day 07. GORJA TO DOVAN
Today is our last trekking day. After breakfast, we will start trekking from Gorja. We will reach Dovan in approx. 3 hours and set up our camp there. We will rest and prepare ourselves for the Tamur expedition.
Day 08. DOVAN TO KABELI KHOLA
Today, kayaking starts. We will go to Kabeli Khola (Khola means “river” in Nepali) to prepare our equipment. Today, we will encounter some challenging white-water rapids: House Rock (Class IV), Pariah Dog (Class IV+), Hodson’s Sandwich (Class IV+), and Hodson’s Last Rite (Class IV+). After crossing many rapids, we will stop on the river bank and we will set up our camp.
Day 09. KABELI KHOLA TO HINWA KHOLA
The rapids will be more challenging today but will decrease once we cross the Limbu Bridge. As we continue kayaking down the river, we will pass white-sand beaches. We might see more monkeys than people over there. We will stop at one of the beaches to set up our camp.
Day 10. HINWA KHOLA TO LIMBHU KHOLA
After breakfast, we will start kayaking on the Tamur from Hinwa Khola to Limbhu Khola. The waters of Tamur are calmer now. You can relax as you pass through smaller waves. However, you will come across few Class II and Class III rapids. We will set up our camp on the river bank.
Day 11. LIMBHU KHOLA TO MULGHAT
After breakfast, we’ll start paddling down the river. Today, you will get the chance to relax a bit. After 4 hours long paddling, we will reach Mulghat.
Day 12. MULGHAT TO TRIBENI
Today, we will paddle on the Tamur River to reach Tribeni. We will pass through thirty exciting continuous rapids; the most notable rapids are – Ashram (Class IV +), Hell Hole (Class IV) and Bat Below (Class IV). We will set up our camp at Tribeni.
Day 13. TRIBENI TO CHATARA | CHATARA TO KATHMANDU
After breakfast, we’ll start paddling down the river until we reach the famous Baraha temple. We will spend some time sightseeing; then we will paddle to Chatara – our final take-out point. We will have lunch at a local restaurant. From Chatara, we will take a bus and drive for approx. 14 to 15 hours to reach Kathmandu*. We will stop on the way for dinner at a typical Nepali restaurant.
*You can choose to go to Chitwan National Park to enjoy the wildlife (extra trip) or come back with us in Kathmandu. There is one more option; you can choose to go to Biratnagar from Chatara and then fly back to Kathmandu (extra cost).
Day 14. KATHMANDU
In the morning, we will reach Kathmandu. You will have time to rest and get fresh. You can go for a last minute souvenir shopping; if you require, our guides will recommend the places where you can buy those souvenirs. In the evening, we will have a farewell dinner with our office representatives (along with guides).
Day 15. DEPARTURE
After a fun-filled trip, our journey ends. We hope you thoroughly enjoyed your trip. We will take you to the Tribhuvan International Airport. If you have time and would like to extend your stay in Nepal, we would be happy to offer our recommendations.
- Swim suits.
- Outdoor clothing: Outdoor clothing should be tough and comfortable. Wearing several thin layers is better than a few thick layers. Jeans should not be worn, as they are slow to dry, clinging and cold. Walking boots and sport sandals are ideal.
- Water Bottle or Hydration Bladder.
- Daypack (25-30 liters).
- Trekking pants and shorts.
- Wash kit and towel.
- Medicine (in particular, diarrhoea medication): Water Purification Tablets/ Isotonic Powder/ Basic First Aid Kit/ Diamox/ Oximeter / Ibuprofen for general aches and pains/ Imodium or Pepto bismol capsules for upset stomach or diarrhea.
- Copies of important documents (passport, vaccination certificates, travel insurance) & extra passport photos.
- Insect repellent.
*This list is not exhaustive.
- Pre-departure support.
- Airport Pick-up/ Drop-off.
- Professional English speaking licensed guides highly trained and safety certified to international standards in White-water River Guiding, Swift Water Rescue, and Wilderness First Aid.
- Professionally trained and certified safety kayakers.
- All gear raft support.
- Quality rafting and kayaking equipment, including boats, kayaks, helmets, paddles, life jackets, dry bags and pelican boxes.
- Treated drinking water.
- Accommodation: Hotel BB on twin sharing basis in Kathmandu, and camping (all necessary facilities including tents, shelters, mats and sleeping bags, shower and toilet tent, etc.).
- Meals (refer to itinerary for meal plan). Types of food provided: Throughout our expedition, we provide treated stream water for drinking. We employ crews with great culinary abilities. We will provide breakfasts, lunches, and dinners during the expedition in a buffet style. So, yes you will have the freedom to choose what you like. If you have special dietary needs, please let us know about it.
- All necessary permits.
- Entrance fees (for day 2).
- First Aid support.
- Team photos.
- All government taxes, VAT and service charges.
What’s NOT included
- International flights.
- Domestic flights.
- Extra trips.
- Tips for porters, guides & others.
- Personal expenditures, all bar bills, laundry, telephone calls.
- EMERGENCY EVACUATION EXPENSES, insurance of any kind. It is strongly recommended that you subscribe a proper travel insurance policy that covers illness, medical emergencies, trip cancellation, etc.
- Visa fees.
- Anything else not specified in the ‘what’s included’ section above.
• Good health and passion for adventure.
• Kayaking experience is required for this trip.
You are required as a condition of booking to have an adequate travel insurance.